Pages

Monday, June 15, 2015

What is Steampunk...

(Momma's stepdaugther's 12th birthday party was Saturday, and she let me write this up Friday night... so sorry, it's a few days late posting.  She was gonna post it that night... but then she fell asleep after editing it... and forgot to hit the publish button.  Yeah...)  

I thought I'd do a quick post on Steampunk, and why I love it.  The description I found on one of Steampunk Addie's recent post explains a LOT better than I can.

"Steampunk is an inspired movement of creativity and imagination that combines science fiction, history and art. It includes literature, artwork, music, film, design, and for some, a lifestyle.

Artisans reimagine modern technologies as elaborate works of art, fashion, and mechanics, most often with the backdrop of the Victorian era. However, in the spirit of fantasy and time-travel there is artistic freedom to create Medieval, Wild West, Industrial/Modern or an alternative world which is known as the Steampunk genre.

The "Steam" in Steampunk was inspired by the extravagantly inventive age of steam-powered machines, dirigibles, brass diving bells and analog computers. The "punk" in "Steampunk" typifies going against convention through creativity and making a declaration of one's individuality through style, gadgets and attitude.

It is the story and thus the characters that drive the artwork of Steampunk. Alter egos are created in costumes complete with top hats, waist coats, corsets and bustles with accompanying gear. Steampunk projects aspire to make something elegant out of random "bits and bobs": creating brass goggles, wings made with pulleys, steam-powered gadgets, clockwork pendants or a ray gun dangling at the hip."

So... to me, that includes my favorite movies.  Clearly, League is a lot more Steampunk than my favorite version of Sherlock, but they both have the elements I love.  (I just found out that Dahlia's older sister, Savannah, who came to live with us about 2 weeks ago, likes some of the steampunk element too!  She says it's the complete opposite of the background she and Dahlia came from.  She has also agreed to be my first background interview, and since she said yes, I knew Dahlia would too.)

What genres do you love? I know that one of the girls is an 80s fan (blech!), one loves the 1920s flappers, another loves medieval, and yet another likes 1950s. Everyone loves something different.  I'm hoping to find that more of the girls love my Steampunk... or to convert them (I know the girl who "isn't" Josefina has expressed interest...").  Come to the darkside, we have tea and cookies...

Type at you later!
- Jaelin, signing out now

No comments:

Post a Comment